Although sometimes eclipsed by better-known cities, Exeter's thriving nightlife, lively cultural scene and rich history make it well worth a visit. This old city is young at heart thanks to a large student crowd and plenty of bars, clubs and cafes, especially around the revitalised dock area.
1 Jul 1995 - Exeter, EnglandThese are photos from my uni days. If you weren't there then you won't care...if you were, then you will love them. This charts my final year. What a great time it was and each year just go better. I made sure that I made my final year was logged on photographic film as I knew I would look back at these days forever.
So what was different? Not a lot! Parties, Volts on Thursday, Coc-Soc nights, the Lukey bop and the Lemmie.
So what memories do I have of this year which aren't in the photos below?
1) Chris' girlfirend, Julia coming downstairs one day and asked me for some of my ice lolly. I could hardly say no so I said ok and put between my legs. Game girl. That didn't stop her and as she bent over to take some her little skirt rode up to expose her naked ass and winking lady box to Andy Mac! Chris was not impressed - haha!
2) Sitting around bonfires in the back garden. Rubbish burns well unless its a can.
3) Renting out Nick's room in the final term as had to study in Holland for this period. The student we rented it out to wasn't quite right and would spend hours in his room just staring at the light formed by coloured light bulbs.
4) Jerry the lunatic from next door. Next door was a halfway house and one evening Nick befriended the loon and gave him a porn mag. This awoke a monster and he kept wanting to come to our house. We left him a few times and Nick would put some porn on the TV. Jerry would rock back and forth squeezing his legs together. He was a character and there are plenty of tales to tell about him.
5) Leaving the house in a compete mess. So much was damaged and left dirty that we lost our deposit.
6) Finding a scooter in our back garden and then riding it up and down the back alley.
7) Going to Glastonbury but needing to trek miles through the country for about 2 hours. When we got there we had to go through a break in the fence and two lads had some green jackets and tried to charge us for going in. When we did get in it was about 5AM and things were coming to an end!
Year 3 - A quiet Friday night in 1994-1995 I
Quite a typical sight in our house in the evening. And day time too come to think of it.
Year 3 - A quiet Friday night in 1994-1995 II
On this particular night, Chris passed out on the floor thus giving mischievous folks the chance to draw on his face with permanent black marker pen. Chris has just woken up and realised what has happened. After this, he washed his face which I imagine took some scubbing (leaving a fresh canvas of new skin underneath) and then came back downstairs when he again passed out. Oh dear.
Year 3 - A quiet Friday night in 1994-1995 III
A clean canvas of fresh skin, our Bachelor of Arts thought he would try his artistic skills on Chris' face. I gave no encouragement, did not take part and was only there to record the goings on.
Year 3 - A quiet Friday night in 1994-1995 IV
Dearie me! Crude images and Nazi symbols! There is even 'Matt Le Tissier is God' on Chris' arm. Being a Southampton FC fan, Rich can only be the culprit for this disgraceful human graffiti.
It didn't come off easily we were told and Chris had to scub some places so hard that he drew blood - haha.
Year 3 - A typical view of the front room 1994-1995
Unbelievably, this is how our front room appeared on a typical day. For this reason I had my own eating utensils in my cupboard. Only occasionally was there a tidy up and often this was done by Chris who couldn't stand the state of the house.
Year 3 - Coc-Soc, doctors and nurses night 1994
Coc-Soc (Cocktail Society) was one of the best societies as social nights were fancy dress drinking fests. As students we drank hard but at coc-soc this was done to the extreme. Pints of cocktails were downed like pints of beer. Fantastic nights. The source of our white coats for this night was the chemistry department. It was just unlucky that the owner of Rich's coat was out and accused Richard of stealing it. Stealing?? As if Richard would do such a thing.
Year 3 - Happy 21st birthday boy! January, 1995
Another booze cruise to France but this time its for Rich's 21st. I remember some of us going through the kitchens and stealing food (and getting caught also). Very little sleep and lots of drinking. Plus also looking for the supermarche as Hywel wouldn't stop shouting it. Embarrassingly so. He even stopped random Frenchies to ask 'Ou et la supermarche' and then speaking to them loud in English when they tried to answer.
Year 3 - Chris' room as his parents saw it 1995
It was often common practice so do something to someone's room when their parents (or even a ladyfriend) came to visit. With Richard we pasted porn over his bed on the ceiling. For Chris we put these images up with a condom containing pearly liquid. The paper that it is attached to says 'My first jump with Julia'. Julia was a mad Art student - thick as pig sh**. She even claimed seeing Chris and Nick performing fellatio on each other one night on the floor next to the bed that she had been sharing with Chris. Mad.
Year 3 - Playing the didgeridoo after the football dinner 1995
After the football dinner I went back to Andy Mac's house. Richard looks very happy and Jint very studious.
Year 3 - With jazz mags spread across the floor... 1995
That joker again, Adam paid Geoff a visit one night to squirt tomato ketchup and shower gel over him. Notice Geoff's collection of magazines next to his bed. No sign of the pump though.
Year 3 - Pat's hair cut 1995
On one Saturday night, Pat left the Lemmie to go home via our house. He also said he needed a hair cut to which I replied I would be happy to do it as I've done it before. The very drunk fool believed me and thought it would be a good idea. I did my best but here is the result.
Year 3 - May Bank Holiday, Exmouth 1995
This was during the Uni holidays so a lot of people had gone home. For this reason it was just Adam, Nick and I who went out. Exmouth has a nice beach and some good pubs which were the obvious target for our day trip.
Year 3 - May Bank Holiday, eating the tequila worm 1995
Geoff was kicked out of Uni at the end of the 1st year but he enjoyed the lifestyle so stay and live the life. Hence why he now appears in the photos for this day. After getting back from Exmouth we did the usual and got a curry in. We also thought it would be good to try out the Tequila worm which is supposed to be mildy hallucinogenic. Nah, of course it wasn't. Just this horrible worm which bursts when you bite it. The drink is actually Mesca and in Mexico the worm does have an effect.
Year 3 - Geoff locks himself in the toilet 1995
Geoff got a job in Exeter and he often came back from drinking with his work mates in a state. This is one such night. He locked himself in the 1st floor toilet but the window was close enough to Adam's bedroom window to be able to open it. We created mixture of oats, peas and various sauces to resemble vomit and then threw it over him. The next day we saw that the toilet had been cleaned up as Geoff thought he had vomited everywhere. He was puzzled by the contents though. We didn't own up to it for years.
Year 3 - Intramural football, Mick Mills FC 1993-1995
If you like sport then university is great for it. I played for the University and an intramural team meaning I was playing 2-3 games a week and training twice a week. That was in addition to the other training activities I did.
Year 3 - Post final exams drinking 1995
The Blackhorse after our final exams.
Year 3 - Adam with a burned hand 1995
On one particular night Jint thought it would be a good idea to set fire to the sofa. A sofa which probably would have been an inferno within 60 seconds. A sofa which was in our living room. Adam being closest to it had to hit it out with his bare hands and then go to hospital with quite severe burns. This photo was taken the day before the graduation ceremony and had to wear a plastic bag around his hand. Excellent. His parents weren't too impressed either as Adam had form for burning his hands.
Year 3 - The Graduation Ball, June 30th 1995 I
Fresh new graduates ready to set out in the world of work. Well, apart from Sarah in the middle who was Stuart's girlfriend and Geoff who still lived the student life. The ball was held in the beautiful grounds of Powderham Castle.
Year 3 - The Graduation Ball, June 30th 1995 II
I thought it would be good to get some photos before the ball and major drinking started and before the night had descended into a drunken farce.
Year 3 - The Graduation Ball, June 30th 1995 III
Adam, Anna and I. Its getting quite late now as is probably obvious.
Year 3 - The Graduation Ball, June 30th 1995 IV
This was a fantastic night but also a little sad as friends who I had been close to for the last 3 years would soon be going their separate ways as a new chapter in our lives begin. The 3 years went so quickly and now the end was just a few days away.
Year 3 - The Graduation Ball, June 30th 1995 V
1 Jul 1994 - Exeter, EnglandThese are photos from my uni days. If you weren't there then you won't care...if you were, then you will love them. This was the year that we encountered all day and all night computer games on Stuarts Sega Megadrive. If degrees were awarded for special moves and combos we would have all got 1sts.
In the second year we shared a house and had to learn to cook for ourselves. The first two weeks were pretty grim as I worked out what I like to eat and I either felt unsatisfied or sick after eating. I soon got into a groove though and eating was never a problem after that.
So what memories do I have?
1) Coming down with chicken pox in January '94 and going shopping covered in camomile lotion and blisters.
2) World cup parties (though England never qualified)
3) Dr Devious videos.
4) Weights and gym work twice a day.
5) Berry Pomeroy castle in the summer, climbing in and then shi**ing ourselves when we met some ghost hunters who seemed a little...odd.
6) Story telling in the castle and Nick's famous knotted hanky tale - I still think it was true.
7) Pouring yellow water over Richard when he was asleep so he would think he had wet himself. Adam got away with this for about 2 weeks before eventually getting caught red handed.
8) Richard nearly killing himself by putting switching on his heater which had no legs. This melted the carpet and underlay while he was asleep. The fumes this created gave Rich a headache when we woke him up.
9) Adam listening at the door to Stuart and Sarah (his girlfriend) as she sang 'twinkle twinkle little star' to him.
And again, plenty of crazy nights and parties.
Year 2 - End of uni year, 1994
At the end the second year we had a task of clearing the heavily overgrown garden. What started as just burning a small patch turned into us setting fire to the whole garden. By the time we had finished, our scorched earth method of gardening left nothing but earth and ash.
1 Jul 1993 - Exeter, EnglandThese are photos from my uni days. If you weren't there then you won't care...if you were, then you will love them. I've tried to list the whole lot for each year in order that they were taken; from the early days as bright eyed, naive youngsters to (for some) fatter, balding (for some) not so naive youngsters.
But what days they were! The first year was like one big holiday camp as I stayed in halls of residence (G009, Murray House, Duryard Halls - my room will be engraved on my memory for ever) which meant friends and people of a similar age and outlook were all around. Most of the people I would spend the rest my university days with were all met within the first 4 weeks of the first year. Many others never made it into the clique.
The first week was a blur of drunkenness and clubs at night and admin in the day. All very exciting and one big unknown. Drunkenness was not a problem as our halls had its own bar which got very busy. With the bar being 4 deep Richard and myself would often order 4 pints each in one visit to the bar; bolt one at the bar and then retreat from the crowd with our other 3 pints.
As the year progressed and the friendship groups became more established each day was a laugh a minute and evenings revolved around congregating in either Adam's, Richards or Jints room - not to emerge until about 1 AM or sometimes in the morning as crashing out on the floor with the others was not a bad prospect with the under-floor heating.
What about these as highlights?
1) Shaving Adam's pubes one night and blaming Amanda. He woke her at 3AM to ask why she did it (I hung around long enough to hear this conversation before running off in laughter)
2) Shaving Richards pubes but he did not wake up. He found out the next morning when he went to the toilet and his hairs fell out. It was cut so short that he suffered itchiness while it grew back!
3) Playing aerobie on the front lawn in the summer.
4) Adam burning his hand with a home made explosive (He had a habit of doing this).
5) Cedric the camp dining hall supervisor.
6) John Neave the grumpy Scottish git, the chief supervisor.
7) Going around to the other side of the dining hall to get two dinners.
8) Full English breakfasts every morning, 4 slices of bread and 5 cups of milk (not many of the lads made breakfast but I rarely missed them.)
9) Putting cans of beans on the cooker hot rings in the kitchen and letting them heat till they exploded spraying beans all over the walls and ceiling.
10) Bouncing a basket ball in Adams room in the early hours - much to the annoyance of the lass underneath.
11) Lady in red who Richard was besotted with but too embarrassed to talk to her (because of our jeers).
12) Richard's devious plot to win her hand by paying her a visit one night with Hywel and I. Richard plotted in full volume in front of her and told Hywel to take her jewellery and he would then stop him. Absolutely incredulous.
13) Richard sending her a Valentine card but sliding it under the door of her neighbour.
14) Hywel's green jeans and wash room antics.
15) Cutting out a square from someone's jeans in the washroom to patch my jeans - haha - disgraceful!
16) Putting other students' clothes in the washroom on boil washes to shrink them - disgraceful
17) Hearing Chris arguing with Julia every week or stomping back from her room with his duvet and boots under his arm.
18) Cheese toasties in Jints room in the evening with the bread and cheese stolen from the dining room.
19) Big Nick Williams after a rugby night out falling into Richards room to often wrestle me and grab my balls.
20) Drinking spirits in the car park outside the Lukey bop to make the night even cheaper.
20) Tuesday night being for some reason Richards' pulling night - 'hey, Tuesday night's pulling night'
21) Richard depositing faeces (his own) in Adam's room before we all went out one Friday night while I distracted Adam by talking about how good his stereo was. Jeez that stunk the room. It wasn't very nice when we came back either.
22) The discovery of Richard's premier busen fetish - Claire, Delores...
Ah, great days. Great memories.
Year 1 - Freshers week, 1992
A lass whose name I won't mention, Rich and me(!) in the first week of uni. At this point I'm falling into a drunken comatose state. She wants a bit of both of us but Rich is in a better state than me and knows what is going on. Shortly after this photo was taken the lad who took it thought four is a crowd and took leave. Not long after this I woke to go and puke. Upon coming back I discovered that sneaky Rich had taken his chance and dashed off with her to her room so that he would have her to himself! Great photo, especially as Rich is holding his bottle of strong cider too.
Year 1 - The quay, term 1, 1992
Pizza night down on the quay.
Year 1 - The quay, term 1, 1992
Hywel looks as miserable as ever. Apparently he is happy.
Year 1 - Rennes, France 1992
In the penultimate week of the first term I went to Rennes, France with Rich and Adam with some Sun booze cruise vouchers. We planned a whole weekend on the ridiculously small sum of £30 each. We virtually starved (sacrificed food for drink) but it was a good weekend. Here is Adam showing his lack of staying power.
Year 1 - Murray Hall Christmas dinner, 1992
On our return from France there was the Christmas formal dinner. We brought back some very nasty but cheap plonk back with us and consumed a fair amount before the dinner.
I was sick on this evening.
Year 1 - Rag pub crawl, Spring term 1993
The fancy dress rag pub crawl. Another good drunken night out which involved drinking a pint in each pub on a card. Unfortunately as we went through the city some local lads took offence at Saddam Hussein strolling through the Exeter streets and gave Saddam a punch in the face.
It served the evil dictator right I thought. Rich didn't.
Year 1 - Adam's room, Duryard Halls, Spring term 1993
Prior to going to a dinner over at Birks hall I took a trip up to Adam's room. Here the guys are imitating Jint's awful new hair cut.
Its almost impossible to believe but thats what he asked for.
Year 1 - Birks halls formal dinner, Spring term 1993
And here is the reason that I went to the dinner!
Year 1 - Summer ball, June 1993
The year is nearly over and its now time for the summer ball. Sumo wrestling suits, gyroscopes designed to spin you and make you sick (which it did to me) and lots of other fun activities kept people entertained to the very early hours. We even had a number of entertainers - Rolf Harris (a student favourite), Bjorn Again (the Abba tribute band) and others. I remember this being taken in Tara's room (the little one).
Year 1 - At the Summer ball, June 1993
This is Hywel in ecstatic mood.
Year 1 - Murray House phone room, end of uni year 1993
Our last night in halls and time for some obscene graffiti on the blackboard. The one guilty of those disgusting drawings must be the one holding the chalk. The guy on the black board called Aiden was the hall weirdo who often took off his shirt to do Mick Jagger impressions. He was also Mr football statto and had some good stories like when he was knocking one out on his bed only to finish, open his eyes and see his dad looking through his window.